Adventure Time Vol. 1

The totally algebraic adventures of Finn and Jake have come to the comic book page! The Lich, a super-lame, SUPER-SCARY skeleton dude, has returned to the the Land of Ooo, and he's bent on total destruction! Luckily, Finn and Jake are on the case...but can they succeed against their most destructive foe yet? Featuring fan-favorite characters Marceline the Vampire Queen, Princess Bubblegum, Lumpy Space Princess and the Ice King!


Abstract: The comic adaption has much of what made me love the animated version. Original story with themes and characters from the show. I'm an adult without kids, but I have loved animation since my own childhood. Adventure Time is one of my favorite series, despite usually preferring anime, or western animation for older viewers like King of the Hill or Archer.

This is the first "universe" I've gotten into enough to actively seek out additional media. This is also my first purchase (I also got Vol. 2 before writing this.)

Please forgive me if I use incorrect terms. I am not particularly familiar with the industry or fan-terms for comics or manga.

1. Excellent artwork, and in a color palette consistent across media. I like the color in general, it is very accessible and appropriate for the subject matter. I like noir and/or avant-garde art too, but I think the choices for the series as a whole contribute to its charm and ease of review.

2. Story: the book is an original story in the Adventure Time universe. It is not a direct novelization (comicification?) of the animated show. That would be fun too, but I sought it out wanting more AT (new to me) content.

The story is good. Lumped in with the animations I'd rate an episode with this story as 3.5-4★ of 5. I'll surely read this book again too.

3. Extras: it comes with an extra 20-30 pages of cover art for various special runs, and a bit of author commentary. I got the kindle version, but I could see these and the show title cards as an amazing coffee table book.

4. It's Adventure Time.

I really enjoy the series. I'm usually into stuff like anime (most genres), adult swim, @midnight, stand-up, etc. or reading. I like AT because it is fun. It is a post-apocalyptic candy land. It is relevant and timeless. It doesn't pander. It has a broad vocabulary. It touches some heady philosophy/physics. Then just as quickly plays with them "bring chips and bevs!" At times it is real, and other times it says what needs to be said in a way that is empowering (Re: Neddy) - I'd almost dare to say it shares that with Calvin and Hobbes, but usually in a less self aware way, and sometimes just by being culturally aware. Even then, the characters are flawed, but not irredeemably so.

It is a great place to sit, watch, and just run with it.


 

CLICK HERE TO READ BOOK ONLINE


 


DOWNLOAD BOOK NOW, CLICK HERE!!